Friday, July 22, 2011

Bolivia Trip - Another Amazing Day

Buenos dias! ¿Como estas? Muy bien. Mucho gusto. These are phrases that have been used very much this week. One of the things I´m finding in being down here is that I am somehow remembering a lot more words than I thought I remembered from my 2 years of high school Spanish. But I´m still a major gringo and really don´t know much of the language. That said, it is amazing to me that God still allows a great deal of communication between people even with a lack of speaking each other´s language.

Another busy day is in the books and once again we didn´t get back to our hotel until after 10:30pm. At this point in the trip, I think what I will do is just try to summarize our activities like I´ve been doing. I was hoping to expand on something big things that God is doing here as well as showing me, but I think it will be best to post on those after I return.

We started off early yesterday morning and headed to the Horno Ckasa B Community Center at 8am. There we had part 3 of our worldview training. I can´t tell you how much I´ve enjoyed this part. John the FH staff person once again taught. Can´t say enough about this guy! He is great. After that, we broke up into 4 teams to go to various locations in HCB (Horno Ckasa B) to participate in a handwashing seminar with kids. After that we had lunch with some leaders from a local church to encourage them and share ideas. During the afternoon, we particpated in a presentation on the sewing project that FH is sponsoring and doing at the community center where we´ve been. Somewhere in there we also participated in a community service project of picking up trash. We were supposed to build a speed bump but that fell through. I was bummed because I wore my bright orange Milty Wilty t-shirt and was hoping to play the role of an orange barrel. Probably a good thing because you all haven´t seen how they drive down here! And you thought it was bad where you lived! After that we participated in a late afternoon tea and snack meeting with local leaders of HCB to encourage them and share ideas. There were several groups and the topics of conversation as well as willingness to talk about things ranged greatly. Making these type of connections and establishing relationships like these in the community is invaluable to the work that FH is doing here. After that we headed to a nice dinner in downtown Sucre. It was a dinner theater where we were treated a great variety of song, dance and costumes of the country of Bolivia through the years. Though enjoyable, you can definitely see the animistic worldview come through (more on this in a later post).

Well, it is Thursday morning now and we are going to be heading out soon. We are getting a little later start this morning which is good. Our team needed the extra sleep - especially Liz. She has continued to be an absolute trooper and told me last night that she already wants to come back here - regularly. So do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment