Thursday, July 7, 2011

Conceptual versus Primary

Several days ago I read a very thought provoking Desiring God blog entry. It caused me to really stop and examine my own life. The main point of the entry dealt with conceptual versus primary experiences in learning. The conceptual part deals with intellectual understanding whereas primary learning involves taking the conceptual ideas and basically experiencing them first hand -- in other words putting them into practice. The entry goes on to say that many people are fooled in to thinking that because they intellectually (conceptually) understand a topic very well that they think they deeply understand it. It made me think about how many times I sit and study theology. I can explain justification very well thank you! But what good is it if I'm not putting that knowledge into action and experiencing/practicing/living it out? It made me think of the parable of the talent. I felt the guy who took the talent, buried it in the ground, and then gave it back to the master. And you know that the master wasn't very happy about it. So if this is you as well, let us repent and take the conceptual knowledge and put it into action for the furtherment of the Kingdom and the sake of Jesus' name and His glory!
Here is the link to the blog entry:
http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/we-dont-want-to-live-at-second-hand

No comments:

Post a Comment