Monday, July 18, 2011

Bolivia Trip - Made it to Sucre

After a good night of sleep (praise!) in our hotel in La Paz, we woke up early to head to the airport. Our flight to Sucre (pronounced Soo-cray) went well. At the airport in Sucre we had wonderful greeting Food for the Hungry staff and some of the children involved in the programs through FH. Again it was humbling and a great joy to see these folks. Though I had not any of them, half of our team has been here before and several others also have child sponsorships (through FH) so seeing the joy of our team members re-uniting with folks here gave me great joy as well.

Before I get any further, I need to make some corrections in previous posts. First, Sucre does have a control tower. Second, Sucre has a population of 242,000 people - I think I said 42,000. Third, our plans changed and we were going to take the afternoon flight that was canceled yesterday.

After our greeting at the airport, we went to the FH House in Horno Ckasa B (pronounced bay) and had lunch there. The afternoon was spent breaking into several teams to make family visits. Many of the team who sponsor children were able to meet with them and their families. This may seem trivial to you, but let me assure you that this is HUGE for the children and the parent(s). This is something they look forward to and brings a great deal of encouragement to them.

Late in the afternoon, we all headed to the FH regional office near downtown Sucre where we met FH team members and staff. They gave a presentation on what all is going on ministry wise and more information about Food for the Hungry and what all they do as well as their ministry philosophy (I covered a small portion of this in a previous post last week). After that we went to a FH staff member´s home for dinner where had a wonderful time in fellowship. By the time it was all done, I think we made it back to the hotel around 10pm - I kind of lost track of time. Needless to say, I´m pretty beat (and Liz is already asleep). I would love to go into more detail but I need to get to sleep myself. Suffice it to say, today was an incredible day. I only told you what we did, but I didn´t tell all that happened. If I did, I´d be writing until morning. And I think it will be this way every day this week. More tomorrow night, Lord willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment